Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing
The Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing Authority was established in 1961 by Johnson Holy Rock. The first housing cluster was built on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation located within within the Shannon County boundaries of South Dakota. This was the first ever for Indian Country.
Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing now has approximately 1193 active homes within the 80 x 60 mile radius of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. The purpose of Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing is to provide decent, safe and sanitary dwellings to the residents of the Reservation.
The Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing is governed by a three member Board of Directors elected by each of the nine districts with the reservation. Funding is received through Housing and Urban Development (HUD) from the federal government. In 1996 the Oglala Sioux Tribe authorized the Oglala Sioux (Lakota) Housing to become the Tribally Designated Housing Entity (TDHE) under the Native American Housing Assistance and Self Determination Act (NAHASDA). The NAHASDA was enacted to give tribes the authority to become self-sufficient.
OSLH Board of Directors